“Self-care” is a term that is frequently being tossed around these days. Apparently, self-care is a new “trend”, but that “trend” has been a part of our lives ever since we were old enough to care for ourselves. Although, most people use the phrase in the context of self-care being face masks, bath bombs, and proper hygiene when self-care is so much more. Self-care encompasses, not only proper hygiene and beauty but also mental, physical, spiritual and emotional as well. If you want to overall start feeling better about yourself, you need to focus on the whole picture and not just what’s on the outside.
Emotional and mental self-care
Emotional and mental self care consists of anything that can help your mood or your overall emotional and mental well being. This can include:
- Taking time for yourself when you otherwise wouldn’t. Taking that time to breathe, relax and destress is extremely beneficial.
- Journal your thoughts and feelings as frequently as you can. This will help you to spill your brain onto paper so you won’t focus on the negative or keep it all inside. This is a great alternative if you struggle with social anxiety or opening up to anyone. (Raises hand)
- Keep a gratitude journal so you are able to see all of the great things in your life. Your gratitude journal will definitely help you get through the hard times.
- Take a power nap to re-energize yourself. Power naps are amazing to help you get through the day. It helps to refresh your body and mind to give you a second wind. All you need is 20-30 minutes to feel re-energized and ready to take on the rest of the day.
Physical and health self-care
Self care of your physical well being and health are two of the most important things you can do. This means consciously making healthier decisions and making exercise a priority. This can include:
- Taking a walk or exercising at least three times a week. Getting physically active is important for your health, your mood and your energy levels. If you don’t have time for a long walk or run and the gym isn’t your forte, just take a short walk around the block to get your blood pumping!
- Making healthier food choices at every meal. Skip the McDonalds drive through and opt for something healthier. Making healthy food choices can be very difficult at first, especially if you lead an unhealthy lifestyle right now, but you’ll get used to it. The more you consciously make healthier choices the easier it will get to unconsciously make healthier choices. It takes 30 days to form a habit!
- Getting enough sleep every single night. I know, I know — if you’re a mom you’re probably laughing your ass off at this one. I get it, I have kids too. However, attempting to get enough sleep every night is very important for your body and mind. 7-8 hours of sleep is the ideal length of time for an adult and you should strive to get as close to that as possible.
I’m not a religious person or an overall spiritual person but I know a lot of you are. I grew up in an extremely Roman Catholic family and religion was forced down my throat every single day. That’s probably why I chose not to be a very religious person as I grew into an adult. (But that’s not the point!) Spiritual self care is also very important for strengthening your spiritual health and well being.
- Praying or meditating as often as you can, can help with this. If you’re a religious person, in any way, you can incorporate daily prayer into your self-care routine. If you’re not a religious person you can also meditate to help you get in touch with your higher self. There are plenty of YouTube channels and phone apps that can guide you through steps to meditating.
- Manifestation and manifesting what you want can help a great deal. I’ve been practicing manifestation for the past year and I have to say that
it’s really makesuch a big difference in my motivation, drive and self confidence. Manifesting something that you want or want to achieve is simple. Take some time to really think about what you want or want to achieve and visualize yourself having that one thing or living that life as if you already have it. Manifestation really helps you to change the way you think and help you trick your mind into believing you’ve already accomplished what you wish to. It helps a great deal with motivation and believing that you’ll get there.
Beauty and pampering
This is where most of the fun stuff comes in, the self care that everyone is raving about.
- Use a nice, relaxing bath or shower bomb to help your body relax.
- Give yourself a nice, deep conditioning treatment
- Get a manicure, pedicure or get your hair done
- Relax with a face mask
- Get a massage or facial or just spend a day at the spa
- Treat yourself to a new beauty product that you’ve always wanted
Self care is important in every aspect and it’s very important to take care of yourself as a whole. Taking the steps to care for yourself in every way will help you to feel better about yourself, help you to feel refreshed and help you to feel healthy.